Update on Gunners surgery. In my last post Gunner was doing great the doctors let him come home and they made it back in Snowflake on Tuesday night around ten. I clean the post office early in the morning so I decided to go over after i was done it was around seven, i knew my dad would be up since he's a early bird. I walked in the house and went up to my parents bedroom and both my parents were sound a sleep and Gunner right in the middle with his eyes wide open and a big smile so excited to see me. He jumped out of bed and gave me the tightest hug. We went down stairs and he started showing me his x-rays of his heart and he had a extra device (that's what they called the thing that covered the whole in his heart.) Gunner was showing it to me so happy. He wanted to go outside and see his hound dog Gus, but my mom told him to just take it easy his body needs to rest. Gunner was hungry and asked if he could have his favorite food french toast sticks from Arbys, of course he was going to get anything he wanted. I said good bye and was going to go home get Cooper up and make breakfast so Josh could go to work and i made some bread the night before so i decided to take over a loaf to my parents and Gunner. I drove up to my parents house as i did my grandma and grandpa Caldwell drove up right behind me. My grandma said have you talked to your parents? I said yeah and Gunners doing great you should go in and see him. My grandma just looked sick she said no they just had the ambulance here, Gunner collapsed and they rushed him to the hospital. Oh how i felt so sick something was wrong but i thought how can it, Gunner looked so good. I tried calling my parents cell phones but no answer finally a hour later my dad called and said they think Gunner has a blood clot and there flying him to st. Joes hospital so his heart doctor can look at him. They asked me to pick them up so they could come home and pack and drive to Phoenix. When i walked into the er and i saw Gunner, it was the most horrible thing i have ever seen he was so white he looked like a ghost his lips were purple i truly thought my little brother was going to die on me. I wanted to just reap my heart out and give it to him. They knew that they needed to get him into surgery right away or he might not make it. I drove with my parents to Phoenix on the way there my mom was explaining what had happen at home. Gunner was sitting on the coach playing with his new game boy that he got and the next thing he said was mom my chest hurts really bad then he said i can't breath i can't breath and he got up went into the kitchen saying he's going to throw up and calapse and my mom caught him. My mom held him in her arms saying don't die on me, stay here with me that's when my dad called 911 and his heart doctor. On the drive we received many phone calls from family and friends who were wondering what was going on. It was so hard to watch my parents repeat what just happen to them, there was a lot of tears and prays that were just for Gunner. The doctor called us we had just passed payson and said they were taking Gunner in for open heart surgery that the device they put in some how made another whole on top of his heart and his blood was bleeding out causing pressure around his heart. They said the surgery was going to last 5 hours and that they had seven to nine doctors in there with him and the head chief to not worry he was in good hands. This was one of the hardest things i have ever had to face watching my parents put all there trust into the doctors hands and watching their tears run down their checks. We got to the hospital with family and friends waiting there for us. I just want to tell my moms sisters and brother thank you for being there it took a lot of pressure off my mom and talking to them made the time go by faster, it was the sweetest thing they could of done for her and Gunner. One doctor came in and grabbed my parents to tell them what was going on. My dad came back to tell the family and said theres good news and bad news bad news is he's still a Caldwell only a Caldwell can tell that joke. The good news is there done with surgery and they took the device out and patched up the two wholes and now only time will tell how Gunner and his heart will handle the shock his body had just gone through. We got to go in and see him and hold his hand he looks so much better then he did in showlows hospital he had some color not much but a little. Thank you to everyone that prayed for Gunner, every pray was heard. I know with out a doubt that Gunner was in his Heavenly Father arms and that he was being watched over by many angels. Again thank you.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
marti. you have been on my mind and in my prayers. i know what a huge heart you have and what a wonderful daughter and sister you are. i can't imagine how hard this has been for you. please know i am thinking about you. i'd love to call, but no pressure let me know if you are up for talking. i know Gunner was being watched over. I am sure there were many people near him when you and your parents couldn't be! i love you. hang in there!
Holy Cow Marti. I'm glad the surgery went well. That must have been horrible! Please send my love to your family. We will definitely keep praying for the little guy.
Goodness, your little brother is such a strong little guy! Hang in their Marti, we are definately praying for him! Send our love to your mom and dad, everything will be alright! Hang in their!
I am so sorry for all that you have been going through but I know that you have a good support system around you. I am sure that it meant just as much to your mom to have you there with them as it did to have her siblings around. You are amazing and I can't help but feel like you always light up a room when you enter it. I am glad that Gunner is doing better and my thoughts are prayers are with you and your family.
What an emotional day! I'm getting exhausted just thinking about it. I'm so happy for Gunner and your family that prayers were heard and answered. I'll be sure to throw a few more up there for a speedy and completely recovery. :)
Yesterday was so scary. We love little Gunner and are so gald he is such a strong kid. We will keep praying for his recovery. WE LOVE YOU GUNNER!
Bekah call me i would love to talk to you.
We kept Gunner in our prayers, poor little guy, I hate to see kids going through stuff like this, doctors are amazing though, and save peoples lives.
Oh my goodness how scary! We will be praying for gunner hope he gets better soon!
matri you guys have been in our thoughts and prayers too- i've been watching for a update. i am so glad he is doing better- i am so sorry you had to go through that.
love you guys!
oh, what a srong little guy! We love Gunner! he is so sweet. Ive been waiting for an update! Lets us know if we can do anything. Tell your parents we love them and have been praying for your family!
o my i had no idea! i'm so sorry! that is so scary! he's a sweet kid! and a brave one too! you all are! let me know if you guys need anything at all!
Oh Marti, I am so sorry. He is defiantly in our prayers. Also you and your family. Love ya!
Poor little guy!! You are such a sweet strong sister. You are all in our prayers:)
Marti this is Rachell Palmer Massey I found you when I was blog skipping and I am so sorry about your baby brother. My prayers are with him and your family, I know that hospitals are stressful places and it is always comforting to have family there. I am so glad that the surgery went well and hopefully Gunner will be running and playing before you know it. It was great to find you and I hope that we can keep in touch. My blog is jandrmassey.blogspot.com Take care, Rachell
Post a Comment